One of my favorite narratives in the Old Testament is found in 2 Chronicles chapter 20. The heart of this great example of Godly leadership occurs when we see King Jehoshaphat leading the gathered nation of Israel in prayer and making this summary statement in verse 12. I want to encourage you to learn from it and study it.
“For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you.”
Jehoshaphat is in the midst of trying to lead the nation of Israel back to its God. He is doing a good job and what is his reward but a major test from the enemy. A vast army comes to attack a nation in recovery. God allows this attack because He sees that Jehoshaphat because His plan is to actually train Jehoshaphat and give him a great victory.
In the midst of all the confusing, frustrating, painful and disheartening things going on in our nation now I wanted to draw out the heart of this wonderful text in hopes of encouraging you to do the same thing Jehoshaphat did. God will train you and give you victory is you keep your eyes on Him. What did Jehoshaphat do?
- He determined to seek the Lord. The very thing that has caused so much of the pain we now see in our nation is a counter-attack to the fact that Christians have been publically and privately gathering to seek God for our nation. Don’t stop – seek the Lord with all your heart.
- In the midst of this trial don’t be alone. The first thing Jehoshaphat did when the report of this great army coming to attack Israel came to him was to call all the people together to pray! Find other people of faith and seek God regularly. We need this!
- Pour out your hearts to God in humble repentance and prayer. Open the Bible and base your prayers on the truth of His words over this situation. You can read Jehoshaphat’s prayer in verses 3 to 15 of chapter 20. He stands on his knowledge of what God has done, and will do, and he cries out for God to help.
- God speaks to His people and tells them what to do. You can count on God to help you to see exactly what to do. America is not in a political crisis now, though it is. The true crisis in America is in the home and in the Church. We need to listen to God and not the TV, or the politician. Whoever wins the election next month won’t save us!
- Act on what God is saying. Jehoshaphat has to take the risk of faith and leave Jerusalem to see the victory of God. Each of us will have to take steps of faith to see the power of God’s love and grace change our neighborhoods and nation.
Jesus is the only hope for America and each of our homes and lives. Learn from this Godly leader and make a real difference in America.